Thursday, January 7, 2010

Workin' Mama

My blog post is kind of late tonight, but still on time for NaBloPoMo. You see, I'm usually in bed by 8-9pm because J wakes up early. This does not mean that I get up with him - I just need more sleep than he does so I go to bed when he does and wake up when Miss Monkey does. It's a win-win for everyone.

Anyways, back to my topic tonight.

The reason I'm up late tonight is because today is my official day of working at home. I have been sort of leading up to this day, as my boss recently became employed (while still retaining his self-employed title). This means it has been little ol' me in the office by myself. With no heat. In the middle of winter. In a huge historic building. See why I'm working from home now?

This means that two glorious days a week, Miss Monkey goes to daycare and I get to bask in being home alone without having to worry about tip-toeing around during nap time. This is going to reveal my OCD side a little bit, but one of the best parts of my day is straightening up the house and basking in its cleanliness all day. When I go from room to room, it will be exactly the way I left it. No toys, no food, no sippy cups...

.. and I'm rambling again. I get so excited about a clean house!

To celebrate, I did what any hard working individual should do: I watched some TV shows I had stored on Hulu (by myself!) and took a nice needed nap. That is, until the 4.1 earthquake that rocked the Bay Area today woke me up. Maybe it was a sign that I should not have been napping during a work day? Hey - I'm still sick and it was the first time I got sick "me time" all week.

I did get a majority of the work done in the afternoon, but then needed to finish tonight after Miss Monkey went to bed. But then I got distracted by the rest of my TV shows, so of course I finished at a snail's pace.

Which leads me back to why I'm writing this blog post so close to deadline. But at least it's getting written and it feels so good to reflect on the happiness (despite talking about work) of my day.

-----------------------------

♥ Best Moments of the Day ♥

- Working at home! I am so lucky. :)

- Getting to take a nap, despite the earthquake waking me up. Luckily it wasn't a big one and J wasn't working at a dangerous job site today.

- Discovering a new TV series called Mercy. I'm not quite sure whether I like it or not, but it is starting to grow on me. I'm sure I don't need another TV series to get addicted to, but now that I'm staying up late working, I'm going to need some sort of company.

- Miss Monkey was so cute before bed. Not did I let her stay up until Toy Story was over at 8:30pm (she is usually in bed by 7:30pm lately), but during the rolling credits she stood up and started dancing. It was so cute that she was so tired, but still so happy. I love it when she's in a good mood. And she even went to bed without a fuss (like she usually does).

-----------------------------

Tomorrow is J and I's last non-married anniversary of our first date! Still need to get him a little something.

1 comments:

CynthiaK said...

I find working at home a blessing and a curse. It means I have a great deal of flexibility, which is amazing, but it also means I'm "on" all the time, thinking about work a lot during my "home" time.

But, I wouldn't trade it for anything right now to be home with the kids!

Isn't NaBloPoMo challenging this time? I'm finding the January NaBlo really tough! Maybe it's the post-holiday lull...

Anyway, great post!

Post a Comment